Using closed captioning in Zoom Rooms
Zoom Room meeting hosts can enable live transcription for a meeting, or assign participants to manually type captions. If the Zoom Room joins a meeting as a participant, and closed captioning or live transcription is available for that meeting, the captions can be viewed on the Zoom Rooms display.
This article covers:
- How to enable closed captioning in Zoom Rooms
- How to view closed captions or live transcription in a Zoom Room
- How to assign a participant to manually type captions as a host
Prerequisites for using closed captioning in Zoom Rooms
- Zoom Rooms version 5.12.0 or higher
- Meeting with closed captioning or live transcription
- Role with edit access to Zoom Rooms
For a Zoom Room to display captions using live transcription, the meeting host must have a live transcription license. The following are scenarios to consider:
- Live transcription is available for the meeting when:
- A user with a live transcription license schedules a meeting in a Zoom Room.
- A remote user with a live transcription license hosts a meeting, and a Zoom Room joins the meeting as a participant.
- Live transcription is unavailable for the meeting when:
- A user without a live transcription license schedules a meeting in a Zoom Room.
- A user initiates an instant meeting from the Zoom Room.
- A remote user without a live transcription license hosts a meeting, and a Zoom Room joins the meeting as a participant.
How to enable closed captioning in Zoom Rooms
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal.
- In the navigation menu, click Room Management then Zoom Rooms.
- Click Edit next to the Zoom Room you want to enable closed captioning for.
- Click the Meeting tab.
- Under In Meeting (Advanced), click the Manual captions or Automated captions (live transcription) toggle to enable or disable them.
Manual captions allows the meeting host to assign a participant to type the closed captions.
Automated captions (live transcription) uses the meeting audio to automatically create captions.
How to view closed captions or live transcription in a Zoom Room
- Join a meeting.
- On the Zoom Rooms controller, tap the Captions icon. You may need to tap the More icon first to see the option.
- Meeting hosts can choose between closed captions (manual captions) or live transcription (automated captions). Meeting attendees can only enable live transcription
- To enable closed captions, tap the toggle next to Enable Manual Captioner.
- To enable live transcription, tap a language option under Translate to and ensure that the language displayed next to My Speaking Language is the correct one.
- Ensure that the Show Captions toggle is enabled. If not, click to enable it and display the text on the Zoom Rooms display.
How to assign a participant to manually type captions as a host
- Tap Participants, then tap a participant in the participants list.
- Tap Assign to Type Closed Caption to have that user manually type the captions.
- (Optional) Repeat the steps above to assign multiple participants to type closed captions. This can be useful if you need participants to type captions for multiple breakout rooms.
Join the 250K+ other members in the Zoom Community! Login with your Zoom account credentials and start collaborating.