Advance notice of end of support for Zoom Rooms Android Controller on legacy hardware devices
In April 2023, Zoom released version 5.14.5 for the Zoom Rooms Android Controller application, which is the the final version supporting legacy devices (“Affected Legacy Hardware”). Zoom Rooms using Affected Legacy Hardware running the Zoom Rooms Android Controller application must switch to a supported Zoom Room Controller device (see Recommended migration options below) before Zoom Rooms Android Controller version 5.14.5 reaches end-of-life on February 3rd, 2024.
Note: This announcement only applies to specific legacy hardware platforms
This article covers:
- Affected Legacy Hardware
- Zoom Rooms Android Controller 5.14.0 Release Timeline
- Can I continue to use Zoom Rooms Android Controller on my devices?
- How can I check whether I have deployed Zoom Rooms Android Controllers on Affected Legacy Hardware?
- What should I do?
- Recommended migration options
Historically, Zoom has supported the use of the Zoom Rooms Android Controller on a wide array of hardware. Due to the lack of operating system updates for the affected legacy hardware (listed below), support for these devices will be terminated to enable new application features made possible by new Android OS releases.
Affected Legacy Hardware
The following devices are affected:
- Crestron Mercury*
- Crestron Mercury X*
- Crestron TSS-7*
- Crestron TSS-10*
- Crestron TSS-760*
- Crestron TSW-760*
- Crestron TSW-1060*
- Polycom Trio 8500**
- Polycom Trio 8800**
- Yealink CP960
* Customers can subscribe to Crestron OLH article 1001819 for future updates. Some devices that are part of Crestron Flex systems can continue to be used.
** Poly Customers can subscribe to the Poly Support Article for future updates.
Zoom Rooms Android Controller 5.14.0 release timeline
In April 2023, Zoom released version 5.14.5 for the Zoom Rooms Android Controller application, which is the the final version supporting legacy devices . Please be aware that hardware partners may not release a firmware update containing Zoom Rooms Android Controller 5.14.5 until a later date.
Can I continue to use Zoom Rooms Android Controller on my devices?
The aforementioned affected legacy hardware may continue to use Zoom Rooms Android Controller version 5.14.5. However, in accordance with the Zoom Software Quarterly Lifecycle Policy, this version is expected to reach end-of-life in February, 2024. After this date, Zoom Rooms Android Controller version 5.14.5 will stop operating and show a notification message instructing the administrator to transition to an alternative hardware supported by Zoom Rooms Controller app as soon as possible.
How can I check whether I have deployed Zoom Rooms Android Controllers on Affected Legacy Hardware?
Unfortunately, some manual review is required. Customers may gather data on deployed Zoom Rooms Controllers from the Zoom admin portal by following these steps:
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal.
- Click Device Management then Device List.
- Click the All Platform OS filter drop down and change it to Android.
- Click the All Zoom Device Types filter drop down and change it to Zoom Rooms Controller.
- Click Export to review a list of devices in CSV format.
- Repeat the steps after changing the All Zoom Device Types filter drop down to Zoom Rooms Scheduling Display.
Customers can review the exported data, e.g. in Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets. Customers should verify the physical hardware present in any Zoom Room where the Vendor, Model and Enrollment are unknown (indicated by a value of “-”); the “Assignment” column in each CSV file will contain the name of the Zoom Room.
What should I do?
Zoom recommends examining Android-based devices deployed as Zoom Room Android Controllers or Zoom Scheduling Displays in your Zoom account to identify any affected legacy hardware in your deployment. Zoom recommends customers consider replacing any affected legacy hardware with a recommended Zoom Rooms Controller or Scheduling Display device as soon as possible. See Recommended migration options below. Prior to replacement, you may continue to use the Zoom Rooms Android Controller application as described above, until the end-of-life date.
Recommended migration options
- Deploy a new controller from the Zoom Rooms Certified Hardware Controllers list. These controllers are compatible with Zoom Rooms (Windows, macOS, or Appliance).
- For affected legacy hardware that also integrates speakerphone functionality, please consider choosing an equivalent new device.
- Rent a new controller for an affordable monthly cost through the Zoom Rooms Hardware as a Service program.
Join the 250K+ other members in the Zoom Community! Login with your Zoom account credentials and start collaborating.