Microsoft Outlook plugin (desktop)
Note: For a better experience, Zoom recommends using the Zoom for Outlook add-in (web and desktop), particularly if your organization has computers running macOS. Microsoft will be blocking injection-based plugins from running in Outlook for macOS, and only allowing add-ins available through the Microsoft store. Initially planned for June 2020, this timeline has been postponed and is to be determined by Microsoft. We recommend migrating your organization to the add-in instead of using the desktop plugin.
The Zoom Microsoft Outlook plugin is designed to make scheduling a meeting in Microsoft Outlook quick and convenient. The plugin allows you to schedule and start instant Zoom meetings, as well as make existing meeting events Zoom meetings. The Outlook Plugin can also sync free/busy times to the Zoom Client based on your Outlook Calendar events (PC only, requires version 3.5 or higher - download the latest version).
This article covers:
- How to download the plugin
- How to schedule a meeting
- How to schedule a personal audio conference (PAC)
- How to make an existing event a Zoom meeting
- Missing plugin icon
- How to schedule meetings for others
Prerequisites for using the Microsoft Outlook plugin
- You must have the Zoom client installed and be logged in to your account
- Install the Zoom Microsoft Outlook Plugin from Zoom
- Microsoft Outlook 2010 or higher (2007 with limited features), or Outlook as part of Microsoft Office 365
- 32-bit or 64-bit OS
- 64-bit OS
- For macOS, consider using the Zoom for Outlook add-in instead
- Due to new security protocol, the Outlook plugin is only supported on some versions of macOS 10.14.1 and above. If you are running an older version, we recommend updating macOS, using the Zoom for Outlook add-in (web and desktop), or disabling System Integrity Protection (SIP) on the operating system. Additionally, macOS 10.15 Catalina does not support plug-ins, including the Microsoft Outlook Plugin for Zoom.
How to download the plugin
You can download the Zoom Microsoft Outlook Plugin MSI file from the Download Center. Once the download is complete, run the MSI file and follow the install wizard to complete the installation. You will need to restart Outlook before using the Plugin.
Note: Several versions of Outlook do not support the options to Schedule a Meeting or Start Instant Meeting. If you do not see these in the main ribbon bar, please check to see if they appear after creating a new appointment or calendar event.
How to schedule a meeting
- Your scheduler settings are synced from the Zoom web portal.
- When you assign scheduling privileges to other users in the Zoom web portal, you can choose if these users can manage your meetings that are marked as private in Outlook or Google Calendar. If the users cannot manage private events, they cannot see the invite link, meeting topic, or attendee list.
- Click the Schedule a Meeting button.
- Select your desired settings for scheduling a meeting.
- Generate Automatically: Generate a random unique meeting ID.
- Personal Meeting ID*: Use your Personal Meeting ID.
Passcode: Enter a meeting passcode. Joining participants will be required to input this before joining your scheduled meeting.
Note: The meeting passcode must meet complexity requirements set by your admin.
- Waiting Room: Enable Waiting Room for the meeting.
- Only authenticated users can join: Restrict access to the meeting so that only signed-in using can join.
- Passcode: Enter a meeting passcode. Joining participants will be required to input this before joining your scheduled meeting.
- Host: Choose if you would like the host's video on or off when joining the meeting. Even if you choose off, the host will have the option to start their video.
- Participants: Choose if you would like the participants' videos on or off when joining the meeting. Even if you choose off, the participants will have the option to start their video.
Audio: Allow users to call in using Telephone only, Computer Audio only, Both, or 3rd Party Audio (if enabled for your account).
- Dial in From: If Telephone or Both is enabled for this meeting, click Edit to select the dial-in countries to include in the invitation. By default, this includes your Global Dial-In Countries listed in your meeting settings.
- Allow participants to join before host: Allow participants to join the meeting without you or before you join. The meeting will end after 40-minutes for Basic (free) users. If enabled, you can also choose how far in advance of the scheduled start time you wish them to be able to join: 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes, or Anytime.
- Mute participants upon entry: If join before host is not enabled, this will mute all participants as they join the meeting.
- Automatically record meeting: Check this if you want the meeting to be automatically recorded. Select if you want it to be recorded locally (to your computer) or to the cloud. Learn more about automatic recording.
- Enable focus mode when meeting starts: Automatically start the meeting with focus mode enabled, in order to provide fewer distractions to all meeting participants. This feature requires client version 5.9.0 or higher.
- Show in Public Event List: Add the meeting to a public calendar associated with your vanity URL.
- Enable additional data center regions for this meeting
- Approve or deny entry to users from certain regions and countries: Host can either allow only participants from specific countries/regions to join, or block all participants from specific countries/regions.
- Include invite link in location field: This will include the join URL in the location field of the calendar event.
- Insert Zoom meeting invitation above existing text: Insert the Zoom meeting details at the top of the meeting invite (before any custom text entered in the meeting invite).
- Select a language to send invitation: This option allows you to choose the language you would like the Zoom invite to be in.
Alternative hosts: Enter the email address of another Zoom user who is Licensed, on your account to allow them to start the meeting in your absence.
Note: If the meeting host wants to add alternative hosts to their meeting, they can enable the setting to Allow alternative hosts to add or edit polls. This feature requires Zoom client version 5.8.0 or higher. If you're not sure that alternative host is right role for you, learn about roles in a meeting.
- Save and do not show again: Check this if you would like to use these same settings as a default for other meetings going forward. The settings window will not pop up and you will need to manually open it to edit the settings.
- Meeting ID
- Click Continue.
The calendar invitation will automatically generate with the Zoom meeting information.
Note: You can cancel the Zoom meeting or change the settings of the Zoom meeting in the calendar invitation by selecting the corresponding buttons in the menu.
How to schedule a Personal Audio Conference (PAC)
Note: Before following these steps, make sure you select the appreciate dial-in numbers in the web portal.
- Enable and configure Personal Audio Conferencing in the web portal.
- Click on the arrow at the bottom of Schedule a Meeting.
- If you have multiple PAC accounts, choose which you would like to schedule with.
This will automatically populate a calendar event with your PAC information. Change the date and time and add attendees as needed.
- Click Send.
How to make an existing event a Zoom meeting
- Open an existing calendar event in Outlook.
- Select either Schedule A Meeting or Personal Audio Conference to schedule the meeting type of your choice.
- Select your desired settings for scheduling a meeting.
See the How to schedule a meeting section for more details.
- Click Continue.
The invitation will now automatically fill in with the details.
- Click Save & Close.
Missing plugin icon
If you do not see the Schedule a meeting icon in the menu ribbon, open your Outlook options.
- Select Disabled Items.
- Choose the Zoom Outlook plug-in.
- Select Enable.
- Select the Com Add-ins.
- Check the Zoom Outlook plugin box.
How to schedule meetings for others
If you want to schedule on behalf of another Zoom user, see the article about scheduling privilege.
Join the 100K+ other members in the Zoom Community! Login with your Zoom account credentials and start collaborating.