When you join a Zoom meeting hosted by another user, you are considered an attendee. The user who scheduled the meeting or was selected as the alternative host (if the host is unable to join) will have host controls.
This article covers:
- Mute/Unmute & Audio Settings
- Start/Stop Video & Video Settings
- Invite Other Participants
- Share Screen
- Choose Video Layout
- Enter/Exit Full Screen
- Pin Video
- Co-annotate on Screen Share
- Leave Meeting
You can mute and unmute your microphone. The host also has the ability to mute you. If you click on the arrow next to the mute button, you will have additional options for audio settings. You can change your microphone, leave the computer audio or access the audio options.
You can turn your camera on or off with the Start/Stop Video button. By clicking on the arrow next to the start/stop video button, you can change webcams, access your Zoom video settings, or select a virtual background (if enabled).
Click on the invite button to invite other participants to the meeting.
- Invite by email: This will open up the selected email application with a copy of the meeting invitation
- Invite by Contacts: Invite users from your contacts list
- Invite Zoom Rooms: Invite Zoom Rooms listed on your account
- Invite by Phone: Available if the host has this option available.
- Invite by a Room System: If the host has cloud recording connector available for this meeting.
If you click on Participants, you can see who is currently in the meeting. The participants list also gives you the option to raise your hand or rename yourself.
- Raise Hand - notifies host and shows a prompt to simulate hand raise
- Rename - hover over your name to change it as it is seen in the participants list and video window
If the host allows, you can share your screen in the meeting. The host will have the ability to stop your screen share.
Chat with individuals or everyone in the meeting. Click Chat to open up the chat window and chat with other participants or view chat messages. Select the drop down next to To: to change who you are chatting with.
Record (if host has given permission)
The host will need to give you permission to record the meeting. If you try to click on this before the host has given permission, you will receive the following message.
Note: the host is not notified that you have requested recording permission. You will need to ask them through the chat or audio to give you recording permission (available in their Manage Participants list).
At the upper right of the Zoom window, you can switch between active speaker view and gallery view. You can also switch between a shared screen and the video by clicking on a button available in this location during a screen share.
At the top right of the Zoom window, you can enter or exit full screen mode. You can also exit full screen by clicking Esc.
Pin video makes a user the primary speaker for you, instead of switching between the active speaker video. You can pin a video by right-clicking on the video of the person you want to pin or double click on their video window.
If the host allows, you can annotate on their shared screen or share whiteboard. To do this, click on View Options at the top of your screen and choose Annotate.
You can leave the meeting at any time by clicking on the Leave Meeting option at the lower right corner of the Zoom window.