Advanced chat encryption will securely send chat messages between Zoom users. Encrypted messaging encrypts all chat messages using TLS 1.2 with Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) 256-bit algorithm.
This article covers:
- Limitations after enabling advanced chat encryption
- Enabling advanced chat encryption
- Encryption icon
- Encrypted chat notifications
- Zoom desktop client
- Windows: 4.1.8826.0925 or higher
- macOS: 4.1.8826.0925 or higher
- Zoom mobile app
- Android: 4.1.8855.0925 or higher
- iOS: 4.1.8855.0925 or higher
Note: Some older versions of Zoom, including Windows and Mac version 3.5.37712.0111 or higher, iOS version 3.5.37749.0111 or higher, and Android version 3.5. 37712.0111, support advanced encrypted chats, but will not have full functionality.
Limitations after enabling advanced chat encryption
After you enable advanced chat encryption, users and admins can't use these chat features:
- Send animated GIFs
- See link previews for chat messages with URLs
- View files/images in the right-side panel (click the info icon to display this panel)
- Edit sent messages
- Search chat history
- View message previews in chat notifications
- View messages in chat history (admins can still see chat participants and the date/time of the last message sent)
- Manage channels using the web portal
Enabling advanced chat encryption
To enable the advanced chat encryption for all members of your organization:
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal.
- In the navigation panel, click Account Management then IM Management.
- Click the IM Settings tab.
- Verify that the Enable advanced chat encryption option is enabled.
If the setting is disabled, click the toggle to enable it. If a verification dialog displays, choose Turn On to verify the change.
Using encrypted chat
Chats will display a lock icon to indicate that advanced chat encryption is enabled.
If you enable advanced encrypted chat, users will not see the encrypted chat until they open Zoom. Notifications (including those on the lock screen) will state that they have received an encrypted chat.