IMPORTANT: Zoom’s LTI Pro app is now available in the new Zoom Marketplace. LTI Pro should be used instead of the LTI documented in this article. If you are already using the LTI documented in this article, read how to migrate to LTI Pro and how long this LTI will be supported.
BrightSpace is a cloud based LMS, created by D2L. The Zoom integration allows a teacher to start meeting with his/her students, adding it to the course calendar and sharing a recording link automatically if the meeting was cloud recorded.
You can also allow Zoom to auto-provision users when instructors launch the Zoom LTI from BrightSpace for the first time.If you choose to auto-provision users, you will need to enter a default password when configuring the LTI in Zoom. When the instructor attempts to access Zoom, Zoom checks the BrightSpace user's primary email address and if no user is found in Zoom with that email address, a Pro user will be created, without sending a confirmation email. Instructors can login to Zoom with their email address and this default password.
This article covers:
- Education, Business, API, or Enterprise plan
- Owner or Admin Permissions in Zoom
- Admin Permissions in BrightSpace
- Login to BrightSpace as an Admin.
- Click the gear.
- Choose Manage Extensibility.
Note: you may need to scroll to see this option.
- Click Oauth 2.0.
- Click Register an App.
- Complete the form with the following fields:
- Click Register.
- This will bring up the application details that show that you registered the app successfully. Make note of the Client ID and Client Secret.
- In a separate tab or window, navigate to your Zoom Integrations page.
- Next to LTI D2L, click Configure.
- This will open the D2L configuration options.
- D2L Site Domain: Enter your D2L domain, eg. yourorg.brightspace.com
- Enter the Client ID and Client Secret from step 8.
- Enable Auto Provision: Check this option if you want BrightSpace to be able to create users in your Zoom account automatically. If you check this option, you need to enter a default password for auto-provisioned users.
- Click Save Changes.
- Next to LTI, click Configure. Make note of the LTI Key and LTI Secret listed here, as you will need them for a later step.
- In BrightSpace, as a course admin, go to the course where you would like to schedule Zoom meetings, under Course Tools, then Course Admin.
- Choose External Learning Tools.
- Click New Link.
- Title: Link2Zoom
- URL: https://zoom.us/d2l/authenticate
- Description: Optional
- Allow users to view this link: Leave checked
- Key/Secret options:
- Check Sign messages with key/secret with
- Select Link key/secret
- Key: Found on your Zoom integration page (Step 13)
- Secret: Found on your Zoom integration page (Step 13)
- Add Custom parameters: 1
- Security Settings: Use link security settings and check all options.
- Click Save and Close.
- The external tool Link2Zoom should now be listed under Manage External Learning Tool Links.
- In the course, navigate to content and then one of the modules under the Table of Contents.
- Under the topic, choose Existing Activities, then External Learning Tools.
- Choose Link2Zoom.
- Click Authenticate.
- When prompted if you want the following app to operating using your account, click Accept.
- This will take you to manage your meetings. Click Schedule a New Meeting.
- Enter your meeting settings:
- Topic: Choose a topic/name for your meeting.
- When: Select a date and time for your meeting.
- Duration: Choose the approximate duration of the meeting. Note that this is only for scheduling purposes. The meeting will not end after this length of time.
- Time Zone: By default, Zoom will use the time zone that you sent in your Profile. Click on the drop down to select a different time zone.
- Recurring meeting: Check if you would like a recurring meeting, i.e. the meeting ID will remain the same for each session. This will open up additional recurrence options.
- Recurrence: Select how often you need the meeting to recur: Daily, Weekly, Monthly, or No Fixed Time. It can recur up to 50 times. If you need more than 50 recurrences, use the No Fixed Time option.
- The other recurrence options will depend on how often the meeting recurs. You can configure the meeting to end after a set amount of occurrences or have the recurring meeting end on a specific date.
- Host Video: Choose if you would like the host video on or off when joining the meeting. Even if you choose off, the host will have the option to start their video.
- Participant Video: Choose if you would like the participants' videos on or off when joining the meeting. Even if you choose off, the participants will have the option to start their video.
- Require Meeting Password: You can select and input your meeting password here. Joining participants will be required to input this before joining your scheduled meeting.
- Enable join before host: Allow participants to join the meeting without you or before you join. The meeting will end after 40-minutes for Basic (free) subscribers.
- Mute Participants Upon Entry: If join before host is not enabled, this will mute all participants as they join the meeting.
- Record the meeting automatically in the cloud: Check this if you want the meeting to be automatically recorded in the Zoom cloud. If you choose this, a recording link will be posted in BrightSpace after the meeting ends.
- Click Save.
- A calendar event will automatically be added to the course calendar with the meeting details.
Note: If you do not see the Zoom events on your calendar, confirm that you are viewing the correct calendar in the BrightSpace course. Click on the dropdown to choose the course name or Show All Calendars.