Sakai is a cloud based LMS. The Zoom LTI integration with Sakai allows students and faculty to start and join Zoom meetings via a join link that is displayed on a Sakai course, share cloud recording links to the course, and auto-provision Zoom users when they first access Zoom via Sakai.
This article covers:
- Initial Setup of Zoom and Sakai
- Enabling Auto-Provisioning
- Using as an Instructor
- Education, Business, API, or Enterprise plan
- Zoom Account owner or administrator
- Administrator permissions in Sakai for initial setup
- Login to your Zoom account and navigate to Integration.
- Next to LTI, click Configure.
- Copy the LTI Key and LTI Secret.
- Login to Sakai as an admin.
- Click Worksite Setup.
- Click the name of the class.
- Click Site Info.
- Click the Manage Tools tab.
- Scroll down and check the External Tool option.
- Click Continue at the bottom of the page.
- This will open the Customize tool instances page.
- For Title, name your external tool with a descriptive title, for example, Zoom Meetings.
- Click Continue.
- On the following page, click Finish to confirm and create the tool.
- You will now see your tool in the navigation bar. Click the icon.
- Click Edit.
- Configure the tool with the following information:
- Remote Tool URL: https://zoom.us/richltiv1/platform/Sakai
- Remote Tool Key: Your Zoom LTI Key from Step 3
- Remote Tool Secret: Your Zoom LTI Secret from Step 3
- Set Button Text: Name the tool as you would like it to the navigation.
- Under Release Roster, check Send Email Addresses to External Tool and Send Names to External Tool.
- Click Update Options.
You can enable auto-provisioning for Zoom and Sakai to allow Zoom to automatically create users when they first try to login from Sakai.
To enable auto-provisioning
- Login to your Zoom web portal and navigate to the Integration page.
- Scroll to LTI Sakai and click Configure.
- Check Enable Auto Provision.
- Click Save Changes.
- Click the Zoom icon in Sakai.
- Click Schedule a Meeting.
- Select the desired settings for the meeting.
- Topic: Choose a topic/name for your meeting.
- Description: Enter in an option meeting description.
- When: Select a date and time for your meeting.
- Duration: Choose the approximate duration of the meeting. Note that this is only for scheduling purposes. The meeting will not end after this length of time.
- Time Zone: By default, Zoom will use the time zone that you sent in your Profile. Click on the drop down to select a different time zone.
- Recurring meeting: Check if you would like a recurring meeting, i.e. the meeting ID will remain the same for each session. This will open up additional recurrence options.
- Recurrence: Select how often you need the meeting to recur: Daily, Weekly, Monthly, or No Fixed Time. It can recur up to 50 times. If you need more than 50 recurrences, use the No Fixed Time option.
- The other recurrence options will depend on how often the meeting recurs. You can configure the meeting to end after a set amount of occurrences or have the recurring meeting end on a specific date.
- Registration: Check this option if your meeting will require registration. Instead of a join link for your participants, you will be provided a registration link. Read more about meeting registration.
- Host Video: Choose if you would like the host video on or off when joining the meeting. Even if you choose off, the host will have the option to start their video.
- Participant Video: Choose if you would like the participants' videos on or off when joining the meeting. Even if you choose off, the participants will have the option to start their video.
- Audio Options: choose whether to allow users to call in via Telephone only, Computer Audio only, Telephone and Computer Audio (both), or 3rd Party Audio (if enabled for your account).
- Dial in From: If Telephone only is enabled for this meeting, click Edit to select the dial-in countries that you would like included in the invitation. By default, this includes your Global Dial-In Countries listed in My Meeting Settings.
- Require Meeting Password: You can select and input your meeting password here. Joining participants will be required to input this before joining your scheduled meeting.
- Enable join before host: Allow participants to join the meeting without you or before you join. The meeting will end after 40-minutes for Basic (free) subscribers.
- Mute Participants Upon Entry: If join before host is not enabled, this will mute all participants as they join the meeting.
- Use Personal Meeting ID: Check this if you want to use your Personal Meeting ID. If not selected, a random unique meeting ID will be generated.
- Enable Waiting Room: Check this if you want to enable Waiting Room for your meeting to manually admit attendees. Learn more about Waiting Room.
- Record the meeting automatically: Check this if you want the meeting to be automatically recorded. Select if you want it to be recorded locally (to your computer) or to the cloud (zoom.us/recordings).
- Alternative Hosts: Enter the email address of another Zoom user with a Pro license on your account to allow them to start the meeting in your absence. Read more about Alternative Host.
- Click Save.
When it is time for the scheduled meeting, students and instructors can access the Zoom meeting similarly.
- In the Sakai course, click the Zoom link.
- Next to the scheduled meeting, the instructor can click Start to launch Zoom and begin the meeting.
- Next to the scheduled meeting, the students can click Join to launch Zoom and join the meeting.