IMPORTANT: Zoom’s LTI Pro app is now available in the new Zoom Marketplace. LTI Pro should be used instead of the LTI documented in this article. If you are already using the LTI documented in this article, read how to migrate to LTI Pro and how long this LTI will be supported.
Sakai is a cloud based LMS. The Zoom LTI integration with Sakai allows students and faculty to start and join Zoom meetings via a join link that is displayed on a Sakai course, share cloud recording links to the course, and auto-provision Zoom users when they first access Zoom via Sakai.
This article covers:
- Initial Setup of Zoom and Sakai
- Enabling Auto-Provisioning
- Using as an Instructor
- Education, Business, API, or Enterprise plan
- Zoom Account owner or administrator
- Administrator permissions in Sakai for initial setup
- Login to your Zoom account and navigate to Integration.
- Next to LTI, click Configure.
- Copy the LTI Key and LTI Secret.
- Login to Sakai as an admin.
- Click Worksite Setup.
- Click the name of the class.
- Click Site Info.
- Click the Manage Tools tab.
- Scroll down and check the External Tool option.
- Click Continue at the bottom of the page.
- This will open the Customize tool instances page.
- For Title, name your external tool with a descriptive title, for example, Zoom Meetings.
- Click Continue.
- On the following page, click Finish to confirm and create the tool.
- You will now see your tool in the navigation bar. Click the icon.
- Click Edit.
- Configure the tool with the following information:
- Remote Tool URL: https://zoom.us/richltiv1/platform/Sakai
- Remote Tool Key: Your Zoom LTI Key from Step 3
- Remote Tool Secret: Your Zoom LTI Secret from Step 3
- Set Button Text: Name the tool as you would like it to the navigation.
- Under Release Roster, check Send Email Addresses to External Tool and Send Names to External Tool.
- Click Update Options.
You can enable auto-provisioning for Zoom and Sakai to allow Zoom to automatically create users when they first try to login from Sakai.
To enable auto-provisioning
- Login to your Zoom web portal and navigate to the Integration page.
- Scroll to LTI Sakai and click Configure.
- Check Enable Auto Provision.
- Click Save Changes.
- Click the Zoom icon in Sakai.
- Click Schedule a Meeting.
- Select the desired settings for the meeting.
- Topic: Choose a topic/name for your meeting.
- Description: Enter in an option meeting description.
- When: Select a date and time for your meeting.
- Duration: Choose the approximate duration of the meeting. Note that this is only for scheduling purposes. The meeting will not end after this length of time.
- Time Zone: By default, Zoom will use the time zone that you sent in your Profile. Click on the drop down to select a different time zone.
- Recurring meeting: Check if you would like a recurring meeting, i.e. the meeting ID will remain the same for each session. This will open up additional recurrence options.
- Recurrence: Select how often you need the meeting to recur: Daily, Weekly, Monthly, or No Fixed Time. It can recur up to 50 times. If you need more than 50 recurrences, use the No Fixed Time option.
- The other recurrence options will depend on how often the meeting recurs. You can configure the meeting to end after a set amount of occurrences or have the recurring meeting end on a specific date.
- Registration: Check this option if your meeting will require registration. Instead of a join link for your participants, you will be provided a registration link. Read more about meeting registration.
- Host Video: Choose if you would like the host video on or off when joining the meeting. Even if you choose off, the host will have the option to start their video.
- Participant Video: Choose if you would like the participants' videos on or off when joining the meeting. Even if you choose off, the participants will have the option to start their video.
- Audio Options: choose whether to allow users to call in via Telephone only, Computer Audio only, Telephone and Computer Audio (both), or 3rd Party Audio (if enabled for your account).
- Dial in From: If Telephone only is enabled for this meeting, click Edit to select the dial-in countries that you would like included in the invitation. By default, this includes your Global Dial-In Countries listed in My Meeting Settings.
- Require Meeting Password: You can select and input your meeting password here. Joining participants will be required to input this before joining your scheduled meeting.
- Enable join before host: Allow participants to join the meeting without you or before you join. The meeting will end after 40-minutes for Basic (free) subscribers.
- Mute Participants Upon Entry: If join before host is not enabled, this will mute all participants as they join the meeting.
- Use Personal Meeting ID: Check this if you want to use your Personal Meeting ID. If not selected, a random unique meeting ID will be generated.
- Enable Waiting Room: Check this if you want to enable Waiting Room for your meeting to manually admit attendees. Learn more about Waiting Room.
- Record the meeting automatically: Check this if you want the meeting to be automatically recorded. Select if you want it to be recorded locally (to your computer) or to the cloud (zoom.us/recordings).
- Alternative Hosts: Enter the email address of another Zoom user with a license on your account to allow them to start the meeting in your absence. Read more about Alternative Host.
- Click Save.
When it is time for the scheduled meeting, students and instructors can access the Zoom meeting similarly.
- In the Sakai course, click the Zoom link.
- Next to the scheduled meeting, the instructor can click Start to launch Zoom and begin the meeting.
- Next to the scheduled meeting, the students can click Join to launch Zoom and join the meeting.