The polling feature for meetings allows you to create single choice or multiple choice polling questions for your meetings. You will be able to launch the poll during your meeting and gather the responses from your attendees. You also have the ability to download a report of polling after the meeting. Polls can also be conducted anonymously, if you do not wish to collect participant information with the poll results.
You can also create and launch advanced polls and quizzes.
This article covers:
Prerequisites for polling for meetings
- Host user type must be Licensed
- Meeting polling enabled
- Zoom desktop client
- Windows: version 5.5.0 or higher
- macOS: version 5.5.0 or higher
- Linux: version 5.5.0 or higher
- Zoom mobile app*
- Android: version 5.5.0 or higher
- iOS: version 5.5.0 or higher
- Zoom web client
- The meeting must be either a scheduled meeting, or an instant meeting using your Personal Meeting ID
*Note: Users on the iOS or Android mobile app can participant in polling, but hosts need to be using the desktop client to manage polling.
- By default, only the original meeting host can edit or add polls during a meeting. If the host or co-host role is transferred to another user, that user will only be able to launch polls already created. Alternative host can add or edit polls, but the host must enable the setting for allow alternative hosts to add or edit polls when setting the alternative host.
- You can create a max of 50 polls for a single meeting, with each poll having a max of 10 questions.
- If a poll is relaunched in a meeting, the poll report will only display the last poll occurrence. If you know you will need to launch the same poll twice and want both sets of data, consider creating a second poll with the same questions as the original to avoid re-launching.
How to add poll questions
Polling questions can be created in advance of the meeting, or done during a live session. If you create or edit a poll during a live meeting, you will be directed to the web portal to complete the process.
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal.
- In the navigation menu, click Meetings
- Click on the topic of your scheduled meeting. If you do not have a scheduled meeting, schedule a meeting now.
- Scroll to the bottom to find the Polls tab.
- Click + Create to begin creating the poll. If advanced polling and quizzes is enabled, you will have two options and will select Poll.
- Click Untitled Poll to change the name of this set of polls.
- Click on the question area to edit the following details:
- Click the Untitled Question area to edit the name of that polling question.
- To the right of the name of the polling question, click the drop down menu to choose the type question:
- Single Choice: Poll participants can select only one of the provided answers.
- Multiple Choice: Poll participants can select multiple of the provided answers.
- Click on the blank for each choice to enter an answer for participants to select from.
- Click + Add Choice to add additional answer options.
- : Delete the current polling question.
- : Duplicate the current polling question as it currently is.
- (Optional) Click Add a Question to create an additional question.
Note: Each question and individual answers for a question can be reordered as needed.
- Click the button to access the following option:
- Allow participants to answer questions anonymously: Poll participants can choose to have their answers associated with themselves or to provide answers to the poll anonymously.
- Click Save.
During the meeting, all questions under a single poll will be asked when launched. You can create additional polls to ask questions at a different time during the webinar.
How to launch a poll
- Start the scheduled Zoom meeting that has polling enabled.
- Click Polls in the meeting controls.
- At the top of the polling window, select the poll you would like to launch (if multiple polls were created)
- Click Launch.
- The participants in the meeting will now be prompted to answer the polling questions. The host will be able to see the results live.
- Once you would like to stop the poll, click End Poll.
- Click the button to access the following options:
- Re-launch Poll: Launches the poll again.
Note: If a poll is relaunched in a meeting, the poll report will only display the last poll occurrence. If you know you will need to launch the same poll twice and want both sets of data, consider creating a second poll with the same questions as the original to avoid relaunching.
- Download results: This will launch your default web browser so that you can download the entire poll report, which shows what each participant chose, instead of the percentages of each choice.
Note: If you do not have this option, contact Zoom Technical Support to request this feature be enabled.
- View Results from Browser: Launches your default web browser and displays the same polling results in the web page.
- Re-launch Poll: Launches the poll again.
- Click Share Results to share the results to the participants in the meeting.
How to download a report of poll results
You can download a report of the poll results after the meeting. When viewing a report of the poll results, take note of these things:
- If registration was turned on and the poll was not anonymous, it will list the participants' names and email addresses.
- If registration was not on, the polling report will show the profile names of unauthenticated participants and the names and email addresses of authenticated participants.
- If the poll was anonymous, it will show "anonymous" for the participants' names and email addresses.
Note: If you want to download poll results during a meeting, contact Zoom Technical Support to request this feature be enabled.