Getting Started with ZDM for iPads
System administrators can use Zoom's mobile device management (ZDM) tool to set their iPads into Autonomous Single App Mode (ASAM). When ASAM is enabled, you will not be able to exit the Zoom Rooms App, unless you are experiencing network failure or are not signed into a room. The ASAM profile exists at the room level, so signing out of a room will allow you to exit the app. You can also upgrade the app (Zoom Rooms), the iPad's OS, rename the device, and assign it to a Zoom Room. Once assigned and the Zoom Room is powered on, the device will automatically be logged in to the Zoom Room you've selected from web. No need for activation codes, sign-in email addresses, or pairing codes with ZDM.
This article covers:
- How to prepare for ZDM enrollment
- How to enroll iPads in ZDM
- Related articles
Prerequisites for using iPads with ZDM
- Zoom Room license
- Account owner, admin or Zoom Rooms role
- iOS Zoom Room controller(s)
How to prepare for ZDM enrollment
Required iPad settings
- Open your iPad.
- Tap Settings, then General, then Software Update. Finally, disable automatic updates.
- In the top-right corner, tap the arrows to go back to Settings.
- Tap App Store, then under Automatic Downloads, tap the toggle to disable App Updates.
- In the top-right corner, tap the arrow to go back to Settings.
- Tap Display & Brightness, then Auto-Lock, then tap Never to disable auto-lock.
Zoom requires an Apple MDM Push certificate to manage Apple devices. To begin, you must download the Apple MDM certificate then upload and authenticate it to ZDM.
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal
- In the navigation panel, click Device Management then Enrollment.
- Click Upload Certificate.
- Click the Download link and save the .scsr file locally.
- Sign in to Apple Push Certificates with your Apple ID.
- Click Create a Certificate.
- Upload the .scsr you downloaded in step 4.
- Click Download for the MDM Push Certificate from Apple.
- Go back to Zoom and Upload the MDM Push Certificate you downloaded in step 7.
How to enroll iPads in ZDM
- Select Enroll Device Individually.
- Set your device to supervised mode.
- Scan QR Code or Enter Access Code to start the enrollment process.
- Follow the instructions on your iPad to complete the enrollment process.
Note: iPads on iOS 12.2+ must have the Profile installed from the iPad. Tap Settings, then General, then Profiles & Device Management. Finally, tap Install.
Batch enrollment with Apple Business Manager (ABM)
- Select Apple Business Manager (ABM).
- Tap Upload Token.
- Download the public key from Zoom.
- Sign in to Apple Business Manager with your account.
- To create an MDM server, tap Settings, then Device Management Settings, then Add MDM Server.
- Enter an MDM server name and upload the public key you downloaded from Zoom in step 3.
- Tap Save.
- Download your MDM server token and upload to Zoom.
- Once you have uploaded the token, return to ABM and tap Device Assignments.
- Select one of the three options and assign the server you created in step 6.
- Click Refresh on the Device Management page on the Zoom web portal to immediately sync the assignment(s).
- For new iPads, once they are booted for the first time, you will see a Remote Configuration screen to install the profile.
- For existing iPads, you must factory reset the device to receive the Configuration profile.
- To start this process on your iPad, tap Settings, then General, then Reset. Finally, tap Erase All Content and Settings.
- Tap Next on the remote configuration screen in the setup assistant screens to install the configuration profile.
Note: After enrolling your device and completing the setup assistant screens, the Zoom Room app will be automatically installed and launched. You can now utilize the features ZDM offers:
- Remotely upgrade Zoom Rooms app
- Enable Autonomous Single App Mode (ASAM)
- Enable Auto Sign in
- How to Rename a Zoom Room with MDM
Join the 83K+ other members in the Zoom Community! Login with your Zoom account credentials and start collaborating.