Setting up call delegation
Call delegation (also known as shared line appearance) provides an easy way for phone users to assign others to handle calls on their behalf. For example, an executive can assign calling privileges to their assistant, allowing the assistant can make and receive calls on the executive’s behalf. If you're unsure that call delegation fits a use case, see our comparison of other routing methods.
The following terms are used in this article:
- The delegator is the phone user that assigns phone privileges to another phone user or common area phone. Each delegator have up to 15 delegates. To increase the number of delegates submit a request to Zoom Support.
- The delegate is the phone user or common area phone that makes and receives calls on the delegator's behalf. Each delegate can be assigned to a maximum of 15 delegators. To increase the number of delegators to 32, submit a request to Zoom Support.
- Shared lines are direct phone numbers that belong to the delegator but can be used by their delegates.
Here are some features you can use after setting up call delegation:
- The delegate can access the delegator's direct phone numbers, meaning they can make and receive calls on behalf of the delegator.
- Both delegator and delegate can see the status of the shared lines.
- The delegator and delegate can place calls on hold and transfer them to each other.
- This article covers the call delegation feature released on September 28, 2019. If you are using the old version of call delegation, contact Zoom support to upgrade it.
- Provisioned desk phones assigned to the delegator or delegate will reboot several times when you set up call delegation or change settings related to call delegation.
This article covers:
- How to assign a delegate
- How to accept a delegation request and view delegators
- How to customize line keys
- How to view all delegators and delegates in the account (admin)
Prerequisites for setting up call delegation (shared lines appearance)
- Delegator and delegate must have a Zoom Phone license and calling plan
- Delegation policy setting enabled
Note: Each phone user with call delegation can belong to multiple call delegation setups or shared line groups.
How to assign a delegate
Follow these steps if you want to be a delegator and assign another phone user to make and receive calls on your behalf. Admins can also follow these steps to assign a delegate to a phone user.
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal.
- Follow one of these options to navigate the phone settings page depending on if you're a phone user or admin:
- In the Delegation & Assistant section, click Set or Add.
Note: If you're an admin, click the lock button if you want to prevent the associated phone user from changing or removing their delegation settings. If there is a pending invite for the user when the admin tries to lock it, you need to ask the user to accept or accept the pending invite yourself before you can lock.
- Select User or Common Area Phone, then specify the phone user or common area phone you want to assign as your delegate, then click Send Invite.
Note: The delegate will need to accept the delegation request.
- Use the check boxes to change the privileges:
Note: If an admin locked the delegation settings, phone users can't change these privileges.
- Places Calls: The delegate can make calls on your behalf using any of your direct phone numbers.
- Answer Calls: The delegate can answer calls on your behalf. They will receive call notifications for inbound calls to your direct phone numbers.
- Pick Up Hold Calls: You can transfer calls to the delegate by placing the call on hold and informing the delegate to answer the call.
- Manage VIP Contacts: The delegate can receive calls from the user's VIP list.
- Privacy: Select the check box to enable privacy mode for the delegator, allowing them to lock a call.
- Delegation Privileges
- To add additional delegates, click Add and repeat steps 5 and 6.
How to accept a delegation request and view delegators
If someone requested you as their delegate, you can accept the delegation request before you can make and receive calls on their behalf. You can also follow these steps to view the delegators you have accepted delegation responsibilities for.
- If you're an admin assigning a delegate for phone user, the delegation setup is forced and the delegate will not have to accept a delegation request.
- The delegate will receive a notification to accept the delegation request when they view their phone settings in the web portal. You will see a Pending label until the delegate accepts the request. After the delegate accepts the request, their name and extension will appear in the Delegation section.
- If you're assigning a common area phone as a delegate, a Zoom Phone admin needs to sign in to the web portal and go to the Users & Rooms page to accept the delegation request.
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal.
- In the navigation menu, click Phone.
- Click the Settings tab.
- In the Assistant for section, click Accept to accept a pending request to be a delegate.
You will see the delegator you’re assigned to, along with call privileges you have been granted.
Note: Contact the delegator if you no longer want to be assigned as a delegate.
- Places Calls: You can make calls on behalf of the delegator by using their direct phone numbers.
- Answer Calls: You can answer incoming calls to the delegator's direct phone numbers.
- Pick Up Hold Calls: You can transfer calls to the delegator by placing the call on hold and informing the delegator to answer the call.
How to customize line keys
Delegators or delegates with a desk phone that support multiple line keys can customize the order and aliases of shared lines.
How to view all delegators and delegates in the account (admin)
If you are the account owner or admin, you can view all phones users that have delegated calling privileges and the associated shared lines.
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal.
- In the navigation menu, click Phone System Management then Shared Lines.
- Click the Shared Lines Appearance tab.
You will see a list of all delegators and delegates in the organization along with the assigned privileges.
- Click Details to view these call delegation settings:
- Site (only visible if you have multiple sites): The associated site of the delegator.
- Extension number: The delegator’s extension number.
- Assign delegation privileges to: Click Add, select User or Common Area Phone, then specify the phone user or common area phone you want to assign as your delegate, then click Save. Click the close button (×) to remove a delegate.
Delegation Privileges: Use the checkboxes to change the delegation privileges of the delegate.
- Places Calls: The delegate can make calls on behalf of the delegator using their direct phone numbers.
- Answer Calls: The delegate can answer calls on the delegator's behalf.
- Pick Up Hold Calls: The delegator and delegates can transfer calls to each other by placing the call on hold and informing the other party to answer the call.
- Privacy: Enable privacy mode.
- Monitored: Displays the monitoring group name if call monitoring was set up for this call delegation. Click the group name to edit call monitoring settings.
Join the 250K+ other members in the Zoom Community! Login with your Zoom account credentials and start collaborating.