There are multiple roles available for a meeting: host, co-host, alternative hosts, and participants. The role that you have in a meeting is designated by the host.
- Host: The user that scheduled the meeting. They have full permissions to manage the meeting. There can only be one host of a meeting.
- Co-hosts: Shares most of the controls that hosts have, allowing the co-host to manage the administrative side of the meeting, such as managing attendees. The host must assign a co-host during the meeting. Co-hosts cannot start a meeting. If a host needs someone else to start the meeting, they can assign an alternative host.
- Alternative hosts: Shares the same controls as co-hosts, but can also start the meeting. Hosts can assign alternative hosts when they schedule a meeting.
Note: If you need to schedule a meeting on behalf of another user, use scheduling privilege.
This article covers:
The following table compares the meeting controls available to the host, co-hosts, alternative hosts, and participants.
Features with an asterisk (*) can be enable or disable by the host during the meeting.
|Feature||Host||Co-host / alternative
Participating in the meeting
|Start the meeting||✔||see note|
|Start/stop their own video||✔||✔||✔*|
|View participants list||✔||✔||✔|
|Request or give remote control||✔||✔||✔|
|Chat with participants (in-meeting chat)||✔||✔||✔|
|Save in-meeting chat||✔||✔|
|Create or edit polls||✔|
|Assign someone to enter closed captions||✔|
|Enter closed captions||✔||✔*||✔*|
|Reactions and nonverbal feedback||✔||✔||✔|
|Mute or unmute participants||✔||✔|
|Stop participant's video||✔||✔|
|Ask participant to start video||✔||✔|
|Spotlight a video||✔||✔|
|Promote participant to host or co-host||✔|
|Change who attendees can chat with||✔||✔|
|Put participants on hold||✔||✔|
|Invite others to join||✔||✔||✔|
|Mute controls for participants (ask to mute, mute all, mute on entry)||✔||✔|
|Assign participants to breakout rooms||✔|
|Start cloud recording||✔||✔|
|Start local recording||✔||✔||✔*|
|Allow or forbid a participant to start local recording||✔||✔|
|Live stream on Facebook||✔|
|Live stream on Workplace||✔|
|Live stream on YouTube||✔|
|Custom live stream||✔|
- Alternative hosts can start the meeting by using the meeting ID or meeting link the invitation email. The meeting will not display in the upcoming meetings list in the desktop client or mobile app for alternative hosts.
- Co-hosts cannot start meetings scheduled by the host. Co-hosts cannot be assigned ahead of time. The host has to promote a participant to co-host. Alternatively, the host can assign a user as an alternative host.