Using screen reader alerts
Screen reader alerts allow you to hear custom announcements using your screen reader whenever specific actions are performed in Zoom, such as when the host has muted audio, when closed captioning is available, or when you have received an IM chat message. You can manage which alerts you want the screen reader to announce.
This article covers:
- How to enable or disable screen reader alerts
- How to use screen reader alerts with Zoom
Prerequisites for using screen reader alerts on Zoom
- Screen reader installed
Note: If you don't have a screen reader, you can use your system's built-in screen reader (for example, Windows 10 Narrator or macOS VoiceOver)
- Zoom desktop client
- Windows: 5.2.1 or higher
- macOS: 5.2.1 or higher
How to enable or disable screen reader alerts
- Sign in to the Zoom desktop client.
- Click your profile picture, then click Settings.
- Click the Accessibility tab.
- Select the check box next to each alert to enable or disable it.
Available screen reader alerts
You can enable or disable the following alerts that will play when certain actions are performed.
The following screen reader alerts are available on Windows and macOS devices. Some alerts are only announced when you are the host of a meeting, such as when a participant has joined or left a meeting or when a participant has raised or lowered their hand.
- IM Chat Received: The alert will state the sender's profile name and the number of unread messages from the sender.
- Participant Has Joined/Left Meeting (Host Only): The alert will state the profile name of the participant that joined or left the meeting.
- Participant Has Joined/Left Waiting Room (Host Only): The alert will state the profile name of the participant.
- Audio Muted by Host: The alert will not state the name of the host.
- Video Stopped by Host: The alert will not state the name of the host.
- Screen Sharing Started/Stopped by a Participant: The alert will state the name of the participant starting the screen share
- Recording Permission Granted/Revoked: Play an alert when the host or co-host grants or revokes your ability to start a local recording.
- Public In-Meeting Chat Received
- Private In-Meeting Chat Received
- In-meeting File Upload Completed
- Closed Captioning Is Available
- Closed Captioning Typing Privilege Granted/Revoked
- Host privilege Granted/Revoked: If you're the host and granted someone else host privilege, the alert will state the name of the new host.
- Co-host Privilege Granted/Revoked: The alert will not state the name of the host that granted or revoked co-host privilege.
- Remote Control Permission Granted/Revoked
- Participant Has Raised/Lowered Hand (Host only)
How to use screen reader alerts with Zoom
Make sure your screen reader is turned on before you use Zoom. When one of the above actions is performed, your screen reader will play the alert preceded by the word "alert".
Join the 83K+ other members in the Zoom Community! Login with your Zoom account credentials and start collaborating.