Setting Zoom as the default for Google Calendar
Administrators can set Zoom as their default meeting service or turn off Google Meet as their default provider to allow users to choose a meeting platform each time.
This article covers:
- How to disable Google Meet as your default provider
- How to set Zoom as your default for video conferencing
- Frequently asked questions about using defaults
Prerequisites for managing the default meeting service
- Account owner or admin access to the Google Admin console
How to disable Google Meet as your default provider
On October 15, 2020, Google announced that their calendar service will now use Google Meet as the default for meetings when more than one video conferencing provider is enabled.
If you need to choose a meeting provider each time, turn off Google Meet as your default meetings provider. Refer to Google's documentation to learn how to disable Google Meet for everyone in your organization.
How to set Zoom as your default for video conferencing
If you always use Zoom for meetings, we recommend setting Zoom as your default.
- In the Google Admin console dashboard, verify that Google Meet is off for everyone.
- Install Zoom for all users in the Google Workspace Marketplace, which can be found as Zoom for Google Workspace.
- From the Google Admin console dashboard, go to Apps > Google Workspace > Calendar.
- Click Sharing settings, then click Video conferencing.
- Select the check box next to Automatically add video calls to events users create.
- Click Save.
Learn more about controlling video conferencing for Google Calendar events.
Frequently asked questions about using defaults
We only use Zoom and don’t have Google Meet enabled on our site. How will this impact us?
If you do not have Google Meet enabled, there will be no changes and you do not need to take any action at this time.
Zoom is our standard, but some of our employees need to use Google Meet sometimes. What action do we need to take?
You can disable Google Meet as the default and your users can choose their meeting platform each time.
Join the 250K+ other members in the Zoom Community! Login with your Zoom account credentials and start collaborating.