Zoom for Home is now supported on the Echo Show 8 smart display. Starting a meeting is as easy as saying “Alexa, join my meeting.” This functionality can be used by any Zoom user, and does not require any additional licensing.
This article covers:
- Echo Show 8 device configured with an Alexa account, setup in North America with US English as the Alexa language.
- Zoom account (optional)
Setting up Zoom for Echo Show
Setup process overview:
- Download the Alexa app on a mobile device.
- Connect your calendar in the Alexa app. (recommended)
- Setup your Echo Show with your Alexa account.
- Login to Zoom on your Echo Show. (recommended)
Downloading the Alexa app on a mobile device
Follow the instructions here to download and install the Alexa app on your mobile device. Once installed, sign-in or create a new account.
Connecting your calendar in the Alexa App
In order to easily join meetings we recommended you connect your calendar in the Alexa app. This will allow you to ask Alexa to start your Zoom meetings by saying “Alexa start my Zoom meeting.”
Find the calendar that you would like to use for Zoom meetings. To connect your calendar in the Alexa app, follow these steps:
- Open the Alexa app.
- Tap More and tap Settings.
- Tap Calendar & Email.
- Select your account provider, and then tap Connect Account.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to link your calendar. Repeat these steps for each calendar you want to link.
Note: When you link your calendar account, a copy of your calendar is stored in the cloud so you can access it using Alexa. Content from your calendar may be available to anyone using your Alexa devices.
By default, Alexa also enables any calendars that you are subscribed to in Google Calendar. Be sure to disable any calendars that you do not want to use to join meetings.
Setup your Echo Show with your Alexa account
After you unbox your Echo Show and connect the included power adapter, follow the onscreen instructions to complete the setup of your Echo Show.
Login to Zoom on your Echo Show
If you have a Zoom account, you should sign into the Zoom for Home app for the best experience. In order to sign-in, simply say “Alexa, open the Zoom app” and then follow the Zoom for Home setup instructions here.
Using Zoom on Echo Show
You can join meetings on the Echo Show with three methods:
- By providing the meeting ID
- From your calendar linked with Alexa
- From the calendar associated with your Zoom account
Joining meetings without signing in:
You can ask Alexa to join a meeting by saying “Alexa, join my Zoom meeting” and Alexa will ask you for the meeting ID and passcode. If Alexa cannot determine your meeting ID and passcode after one attempt, the Zoom for Home app will open and you can manually join your meeting from the touch screen. Alphanumeric meeting IDs are not supported.
Joining meetings from your linked calendar through Alexa:
If your calendar is linked with Alexa, you can join upcoming Zoom meetings by saying “Alexa, join my meeting.” Alexa will parse the join details from your calendar and start the meeting.
Joining meetings from the calendar associated with your Zoom account:
If you have signed into the Zoom for Home app on your Echo Show 8, your upcoming meetings will be displayed on the touch screen when you open the Zoom app by saying “Alexa, open the Zoom app.” You can join an upcoming meeting by touching the join button displayed on the touchscreen.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Which Devices are supported?
As of today, Echo Show 8 is supported for video meetings, although it is possible to join meetings audio only from other Echo devices.
- What happens if someone tries to join a meeting without a Zoom account?
Alexa will join the meeting anonymously and pass the name of the household member identified by voice or the name associated with the Alexa account.
- What voice commands are supported for Zoom meetings?
To start or join Zoom meetings: “start my zoom meeting”, “begin the zoom appointment”, “join my zoom call”, “start my zoom class”, “Join my Zoom Meeting”, “Join my next meeting”, “Start my next meeting”, “Join the meeting”.
To the end/ leave the meeting: “end the zoom call”, “finish the zoom meeting”, “end the current call”, “end meeting”, “end the call”, “hang up”.
Voice commands that do not work: “Join my next Zoom Meeting”, “Leave Meeting”
- What name will be presented in the Zoom meeting when I join through an Echo Show device?
If you are signed into Zoom for Home on the device, the name from your account will be presented. If you are not signed in, but you have a voice profile with Alexa and Alexa is able to identify your voice, the speaker name will be passed to the Zoom meeting. If you are not signed into Zoom and do not have a voice profile setup or Alexa is unable to identify your voice, the name on the Alexa account will be passed to the Zoom meeting roster.
- How do I mute my audio while in a meeting?
To mute your microphone during a meeting, you can press the microphone off button on the Zoom app or the privacy button on the device. The privacy button mutes both audio and video on the device.
- How do I mute my video while in a meeting?
To mute your video during a meeting, you can press the video off button on the Zoom app, press the privacy button, or close the privacy shutter on the device.
- What countries and languages are supported?
Initially this feature is only available for customers in North America using US English as their language for Alexa.
- Can I use headphones with the Echo device?
Although the Echo Show 8 devices currently support wired headphones, they are not supported in the Zoom app.
- In some cases, Echo Show is not able to parse the meeting passcode and the user will need to manually enter the passcode on the Echo Show.