Setting up faxing (AudioCodes MP1288)
You can set up fax support for a AudioCodes MP1288 gateway connected to a fax machine.
Note: As an alternative fax solution for Zoom Phone, see FaxSIPit.
This article covers:
- Limitations of fax over Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
- How to set up faxing
- How to use to template to apply fax setting to the device
- Account owner or admin privileges
- Zoom Phone license
- Provisioned AudioCodes MP1288 gateway connected to fax machine
Note: This document doe does not cover set up and provisioning of the MP1288. For initial setup, see the quick start guide for the AudioCodes MP1288 gateway. This guide assumes analog ports are already configured and calls to and from the ports are working. Fax parameters will then be assigned to an Analog port that are currently configured.
Limitations of fax over Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
Faxing has known limitations when implemented as a fax over VoIP service. These limitations are technology-based and industry-wide. Zoom and several VoIP companies use the G.711 standard for sending faxes over the Internet. Although that standard is considered reliable, it is still open to interpretation by various providers and cannot be maintained on an end-to-end basis.
Zoom offers a fax over VoIP service that connects a traditional fax machine to the Internet via an analog terminal adapter (ATA). For occasional faxing, many of our business customers find these best-effort fax services to be cost-effective and more than adequate to serve their needs. We encourage you to assess your faxing needs to select the best option for your business.
Zoom cares about providing you with quality services that meet your business needs. If your business is heavily dependent on regularly faxing large, multi-page documents, then we recommend that you maintain an analog line and a traditional fax machine for reliable and consistent performance.
How to set up faxing
- Sign in to MP1288 web interface.
- Click the SIGNALING & MEDIA tab.
- In the left-side navigation panel, click MEDIA then Fax/Modem/CID Settings.
- Change the following fields to Events Only:
- Fax Transport Mode
- V.21 Modem Transport Type
- V.22 Modem Transport Type
- V.23 Modem Transport Type
- V.32 Modem Transport Type
- V.34 Modem Transport Type
- Change the following fields as specified below:
- Fax Relay Max Rate (bps): 9600bps
- Fax/Modem Bypass Coder Type: G711Ulaw or G711Alaw, depending on region
- Click Apply.
- In the left-side navigation panel, click CODERS & PROFILES then Coder Groups.
- Verify the Coder Group Name at the top is set to AudioCodersGroup_0 has the below coders listed.
Coder Name Packetization Time Rate Payload Type Silence Suppression Opus 20 N/A 111 N/A G722 20 64 9
G.711U0-law 20 64 0 Disabled G.711A-law 20 64 8 Disabled
- Create a new Coder Group named AudioCodersGroup_1 with the below codes.
Note: Make sure only G711U-law/G711A-law is in this group. This will force the use of G711 codec for faxing.
Coder Name Packetization Time Rate Payload Type Silence Suppression G.711U-law 20 64 0 Disabled
- Click Apply.
- Create a new Tel-Profile, and specify these fields:
- Name: Enter a name to identify the profile; for example Fax Profile.
- Profile Preference: 1
- Fax Signaling Method: No Fax
- Enable Digit Delivery: Disable
- Dial Plan Index: -1
- Call Priority: Disable
- IP SETTINGS
- Coders Group: Select AudioCodersGroup_1 created in step 8
- RTP IP DiffServ: 46
- Signaling DiffServ: 24
- Enable Early Media: Disable
- ECHO CANCELER
- Echo Canceler: Line Echo Canceller
- EC NLP Mode: Adaptive NLP
- Click Apply.
- In the navigation panel, click GATEWAY > Trunks & Groups > Trunk Groups.
- In the Tel Profile Name column, assign the Tel Profile created in step 11 to each port that a fax machine will be connected to.
- Click Apply.
- On the top right of the page, click Save.
How to use a template to apply fax settings to the device
You can use a provision template as an alternative to apply fax settings to your AudioCodes MP1288 device that is less prone to errors than directly applying those settings to the device.
- Create a provision template or append to an existing template.
- Copy the content from the text file, then in the Template box paste the content.
- The blank lines between sections in the content provided are required for the parameters to work, so make sure the content is copied as is.
- You can modify the name "AudioCoderGroups_1" (name of the coder group) of "Fax" (name of the Tel-Profile) in the template as desired.
- Assign the template to your AudioCodes MP1288 device.
- If the device is online, it will auto provisioned with the fax setting parameters from the provision template.
- If the device is offline, follow the assisted provisioning process from the web portal device page to fully provision the device.
Join the 100K+ other members in the Zoom Community! Login with your Zoom account credentials and start collaborating.