Enabling Peer-to-peer connection for 2 people in a meeting
Account owners and admins can enable one-on-one meetings to have data routed between two participants (peer-to-peer), rather than going through the cloud or server. Enabling this may improve the quality and connection of one-on-one meetings (depending on how your network prioritizes traffic) by directly sending video and audio between both parties.
When a third participant joins a one-on-one meeting, or someone disconnects and rejoins, the meeting will use Zoom's cloud infrastructure instead of using a peer-to-peer connection.
This article covers:
- Limitations for Peer-to-Peer meeting connections
- Enabling Peer to Peer connection while only 2 people in a meeting
- Modifying Listening ports range
Prerequisites for enabling Peer-to-peer connection while only 2 people in a meeting
- A paid Zoom account
- Account owner or admin privileges
Limitations for Peer-to-Peer meeting connections
- Peer-to-peer connections are only supported when both meeting participants are on the same local network.
Enabling Peer-to-peer connection while only 2 people in a meeting
To enable Peer to Peer connection while only 2 people in a meeting for all users in the account:
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal as an admin with the privilege to edit account settings.
- In the navigation panel, click Account Management then Account Settings.
- Click the Meeting tab.
- Under In Meeting (Advanced), verify that Peer to Peer connection while only 2 people in a meeting is enabled.
- If the setting is disabled, click the toggle to enable it. If a verification dialog box appears, click Turn On to verify the change.
Modifying Listening ports range
The listening port serves as a communication endpoint that identifies applications and processes on a network port, listening for potential connections. For the Peer to Peer connection while only 2 people in a meeting setting, the port range is between 1 to 65535.
To modify Listening ports range:
- Ensure that Peer to Peer connection while only 2 people in a meeting is enabled.
- Select the check box for Listening ports range.
- Enter a range between 1 to 65535 in the boxes.
- Click Save.
Join the 100K+ other members in the Zoom Community! Login with your Zoom account credentials and start collaborating.