You can convert an existing Zoom meeting or webinar—one that you have already scheduled to start within the next 28 days—to a Zoom Events.
This article covers:
- Benefits of converting an existing Zoom meeting to a Zoom Events
- Things to remember when converting a Zoom meeting to a Zoom Events
- How to convert an existing Zoom meeting to a Zoom Events
- Registrant's join experience for converted Zoom Events
- How to unlink an existing Zoom meeting from a Zoom Events
Prerequisites for converting a Zoom meeting/webinar to a Zoom Events
- Zoom desktop client
- Windows: 5.6.5 (823) or higher
- macOS: 5.6.4 (765) or higher
- Pro, Business, Enterprise, or Education account
- Zoom Events license
Benefits of converting an existing Zoom meeting to a Zoom Events
Converting your existing scheduled Zoom meeting into a Zoom Events enables you to take full advantage of Zoom Events' features and functionalities to:
- Monetize the event by:
- Generating free tickets, paid tickets, and tickets restricted to users on a guest list
- Making tickets available for purchase for one-time events, series events, or drop-in events
- Drive registration by using enhanced branding visuals, and optional embedded fundraising functionality from a Zoom Events registration page
- View and manage your Zoom Events registrations to keep track of ticket sales from the Zoom Events Dashboard in addition to managing refunds
- Safeguard your events with Zoom Events' unique and secure process for guests to join events
Things to remember when converting a Zoom meeting to a Zoom Events
You cannot convert a Zoom meeting that uses your PMI to a Zoom Events - only a Zoom meeting created with a Meeting ID that was automatically generated by Zoom can be converted into a Zoom Events.
You can convert a series of recurring meetings, but only if the original recurrence schedule was never altered.
Once published, the Zoom Events' settings will override the original settings (name, description, date and time, and event security settings) for the selected Meeting ID. The event cannot be edited from outside of Zoom Events.
Note: Please ensure that these participants are aware of this extra step, and should join the event 5 minutes earlier than the start time to sign in to Zoom Events.
Converting your Zoom meeting to a Zoom Events will not allow users to join the event by telephone, even if it was enabled for the Zoom meeting. Users can join Zoom Events audio by using their computer audio only.
How to convert an existing Zoom meeting to a Zoom Events
Note: You have to reserve ticket capacity for registrants from outside of Zoom Events. If no capacity is set, only the users who registered from within Zoom Events will be able to join your event.
- Sign in to Zoom Events.
- In the top-right corner of the page, click Create.
- Click Event.
- Under Basic Information, click Convert an Existing Zoom Meeting / Webinar to a Zoom Events.
- In the pop-up window, read the disclaimer and click on Agree and Continue.
- Enter the Meeting ID of the Zoom meeting that you want to convert to a Zoom Events, then click Save.
Note: All of the settings for the specified Meeting ID (name, description, date and time, and event security settings) will be used for this event. Zoom Events names are limited to 75 characters.
- Complete the remaining sections of the Event Card section, then click Save & Continue.
- Complete the Event Profile section, then click Save & Continue.
- In the Tickets section, enter a quantity for Meeting Participant Ticket (or Webinar Participant Ticket if you chose to convert a webinar), then click Save.
Note: These tickets are for guests who join this event from outside of Zoom Events. All guests will be asked to log in to Zoom Events to join the event. If the number of external registrants exceeds the allotted ticket quantity you originally set, then not all of the external registrants will be able to join if everyone that registered attends.
- Click Publish to publish the event to the event page or click Save to save the event as a draft.
Registrant's join experience for converted Zoom Events
When you convert a Zoom meeting/webinar to a Zoom Events, any registrants that were imported at the time of conversion, or registrants using the original meeting/webinar join link, should expect the following experience when joining your converted Zoom Events:
- Using the newly issued Zoom Events join link will result in the user having their new Zoom Events ticket accessible from their Zoom Events ticket dashboard.
Registrants imported to newly converted Zoom Events
If the Zoom meeting/webinar had the Required option under Registration enabled before the meeting/webinar was converted to a Zoom Events, all of the previously registered users will automatically be added to the Zoom Events' Meeting Participant Ticket or Webinar Participant Ticket.
As the Host, you will need to designate how many tickets should be allocated for these Attendees who originate from outside of Zoom Events. Additionally, after you have successfully converted your Zoom meeting/webinar to a Zoom Events, you should communicate with your audience about the change and the added benefits for them for using Zoom Events, such as a ticket wallet that provides easy access to all of their Zoom Events tickets.
Registrants joining converted Zoom Events with original Zoom meeting/webinar's join link
Note: All users should be reminded to update their Zoom client to the latest version for the fastest joining experience. Also, if they registered before the Zoom meeting/webinar was converted to a Zoom Events, they should sign in using the email they originally registered with.
How to unlink an existing Zoom meeting from a Zoom Events
You can only unlink an existing Zoom meeting from a Zoom Events if the event has not yet been published.
- Sign in to Zoom Events.
- In the top-right corner of the page, click Manage.
- Click Drafts.
- To the right of the event you want to edit, click Edit.
- To the right of the green Linked Zoom Meeting/Webinar ID: [Number] box, click Unlink.
Note: Once the Zoom meeting/webinar has been unlinked from the Zoom Events, the ticket type, Meeting Participant Ticket, will be removed.