Understanding the event organizer role in expo
Expo is a feature in the Zoom Events product that allows event organizers to set up a virtual exhibition that connects attendees with other exhibitors and booths to discover more about their products and services. It allows networking between any participants through 1:1 chat in Expo (the Expo floor and inside booths).
This article covers:
- Event organizer frequently asked questions about expo
- Can expo be enabled for single/series events?
- Can a co-editor set up and configure expo?
- Where do I find the Expo feature to turn it on for my event?
- Can the Expo dates/times extend beyond the event start and end dates and times?
- What types of booths are supported in expo?
- Do I need sponsors to use expo?
- How many booths will expo support?
- Can sponsors set up and configure their own booths?
- Can I create my own sponsorship tiers?
- Can I create my own expo floor layout?
- Can I customize the expo floor with my event branding/logo?
- Can I make changes to any part of expo once the event is published?
- Where do I add sponsors for expo?
- How many booth/sponsor representatives can I have? Where do I add them?
- Can I join the expo floor before it starts?
- Can I disable expo 1:1 chat?
- Can I disable expo during the event?
- What data is available to me?
Event organizer frequently asked questions about expo
Can expo be enabled for single/series events?
No. Currently, expo is only available for conference event types.
Can a co-editor set up and configure expo?
Yes, the co-editor role can set up, configure, and edit expo as long as the event organizer gives them permission to make changes to the Expo tab.
Where do I find the expo feature to turn it on for my event?
In the event creation flow, there’s a tab labeled Expo. In that tab, access the Set Expo Dates and Times screen, set your date and times, and click the Create Expo button at the bottom.
Can the expo dates/times extend beyond the event start and end dates and times?
No. Expo dates/times of operation need to be in the event start/end dates and times. It cannot start before the event and cannot go beyond the end date and time of the event.
What types of booths are supported in expo?
There are 2 types of booths that are supported in expo. These are sponsored booths and non-sponsored booths. The expo floor can exhibit sponsored booths, non-sponsored booths, or a mix of both.
Do I need sponsors to use expo?
No. You can have an expo without sponsors. You can create an expo with all non-sponsored booths.
How many booths will expo support?
Currently, for non-sponsored booths, you can have 300 non-sponsored booths in expo.
For sponsored booths, hosts can add up to 100 sponsored booths to their expo. However, please consider the size of the expo and how long the expo will be open to give all attendees the time to browse and interact with the booths.
Can sponsors set up and configure their own booths?
No. At this point, only the event organizer is allowed to set up, configure, and edit sponsored booths.
Can I create my own sponsorship tiers?
No. Zoom Events supports the ability for event organizers to customize their own sponsorship tiers. Event organizers can rename the 3 default tiers. The Platinum, Gold, and Silver sponsorship tiers are available by default.
Can I create my own expo floor layout?
No. We currently offer 2 pre-defined floor templates to choose from, with the ability to do some basic configurations.
The 2 pre-defined templates are Segmented and Mixed. Segmented is basically organized by booth type (sponsorship levels or non-sponsored booths) while Mixed is mixing up the different sponsors and non-sponsors on the floor. Segmented is the default layout.
Can I customize the expo floor with my event branding/logo?
The Welcome area and other parts of the Expo floor are not customizable with your event branding/logo.
Can I make changes to any part of expo once the event is published?
Yes. Even if the event has been published, the event organizer can go back to the Expo tab and make edits. Specifically, edits to expo can be made the day of the event, when the event has started, or before expo is open.
However, once expo is open or live, any changes made to the booth (i.e., disabling a booth or adding/removing spaces) may not be seen by the participants unless they refresh the event lobby or leave and rejoin the event.
Note: If you don't click the Publish Event button for the first time, the Expo icon will not appear in the conference lobby. If you published expo and then made some changes without clicking Republish Event, those changes will not be reflected.
Where do I add sponsors for expo?
The host can always return to the Sponsors tab and add more sponsors. When the host goes to the Booths tab, they can click Add Booth at the bottom. Then, they can click Sponsors and add sponsored booths. The host will see all the new sponsors that were created in addition to the ones previously not selected for Expo.
How many booth/sponsor representatives can I have? Where do I add them?
There is a maximum limit on how many sponsors can be added to an event as well as a limit to how many sponsor representatives per sponsor. Sponsor representatives are added in the Sponsors tab (for their specific sponsor). Hosts can have 100 sponsors, and all sponsorship tiers (Platinum, Gold, and Silver) can have up to 20 sponsor representatives.
For non-sponsored booths, booth owners can have up to 20 booth representatives. Booth representatives are added in the Expo tab for their specific non-sponsored booth.
Can I join the expo floor before it starts?
Yes. As the event organizer, sponsor, sponsor representative, booth owner, or booth representative, you can enter expo before the event start date and time, as soon as you join the lobby. This allows you to set up and prepare your booth spaces before attendees are allowed to enter.
Can I disable expo 1:1 chat?
As the event organizer, you have the ability to turn on expo 1:1 chat in the Controls tab (control panel). For more information, please visit this support article on how to turn off expo 1:1 chat.
Can I disable expo during the event?
Yes. As the event organizer, you can turn expo off by:
- Open the Expo tab in the conference event creation flow.
- In Expo Builder’s left panel, click the Expo Details tab.
- Click Edit Times.
The Edit Dates & Times window will appear.
- In the Edit Dates & Times window, click Disable Expo.
- In the verification dialog box, click Disable Expo to confirm.
If expo is disabled during the event, the Expo icon will still appear unless you refresh the lobby. Those who join the event lobby after expo is disabled will not see the Expo icon. When you do not publish expo during the event creation flow, expo will not appear in the event lobby’s left navigation bar (for attendees).
- Once you disable expo, you will have to create expo again if you decide to enable it during the same event. If expo hasn’t started for the date and time yet, you can disable expo for that date instead of turning expo off completely.
- You will not be able to disable all the days, as you need at least one day that is enabled for expo.
What data is available to me?
Join the 100K+ other members in the Zoom Community! Login with your Zoom account credentials and start collaborating.