Integrating Zoom Chat cloud storage with Box
To facilitate greater collaboration in Zoom Chat, you can integrate with Box to create files directly from a chat channel using the Office 365 suite, the Google Workspace documents suite, or Box Notes. These files are automatically created in Box, and users can click to co-author documents. Folders can also be created to provide better organization of files you’ve created. Local files can also be uploaded to the channel and Box account through Zoom Chat.
Note: Screenshots, Audio Messages, Video Messages, and Zoom Whiteboard files will still be stored on Zoom Cloud.
The article covers:
- Limitations of the Zoom Chat integration with Box
- How to enable Chat Cloud Storage with Box
- How to create a Box backed channel
- How to create and organize Box files in Zoom Chat
Prerequisites for storing chat files with Box
- Zoom desktop client
- Windows: 5.10.0 or higher
- macOS: 5.10.0 or higher
- Zoom mobile app
- Android: 5.10.0 or higher
- iOS: 5.10.0 or higher
- Pro, Business, Education, or Enterprise account
- A Box admin with either Admin or Co-Admin with Manage Groups permissions access.
- Advanced Chat Encryption must be disabled
- Allow bots to participate in chats and channels must be disabled
Limitations of the Zoom Chat integration with Box
- Zoom Chat storage to Zoom Cloud cannot be prevented or disabled in its entirety. Screenshots, Audio Messages, Video Messages, and Zoom Whiteboard files will still be stored on Zoom Cloud.
- Channels created prior to enabling the integration will be entirely backed by Zoom Cloud.
How to enable chat cloud storage with Box
This feature is applied at the account level. As a result, when Box is enabled on the Zoom account level it will be applied account wide and the integration will be available for all new channels. As a result, any creation of a new channel will create a corresponding Box folder.
We suggest admins deploy and test this within a sandbox environment before deploying to your account.
To enable or disable Chat Cloud Storage with Box for all users in the account:
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal as an admin with the privilege to edit account settings.
- In the navigation menu, click Account Management then Account Settings.
- Click the Zoom Chat tab.
- Under the Storage section, click the Cloud Storage toggle to enable or disable it.
- If a verification dialog displays, click Enable or Disable to verify the change.
- (Optional) To prevent all users in your account from changing this setting, click the lock icon , and then click Lock to confirm the setting.
- Under the Enable files within channels to be backed by 3rd-party cloud storage option, select Box as the service you would like to use on your account.
How to create a Box backed channel
Once this has been enabled for your account, all new chat channels created will have their files backed by Box. Each new channel created will create a brand new and corresponding Box folder.
- Create a new chat channel.
- In the top right corner of the chat window, click on the More Actions to open the right-side panel.
- Click the Box Files tab.
- Click the add file button or the Authenticate option.
Either option will open the Box authentication window.
- Follow the instructions provided in the window to allow Zoom access to your Box account.
How to create and organize Box files in Zoom Chat
Any files shared, sent, or uploaded to a channel are stored to Box automatically, and the process of sending files remains the same.
Note: The Zoom mobile apps currently support accessing, viewing, and editing files with the Box storage integration, but creating new files or folders directly from the Zoom mobile app is not yet available.
Creating new files
In addition to uploading local files to the chat channel to have those backed-up to your Box account, you can also utilize the Office 365 suite, the Google Workspace documents suite, or Box Notes to create new files and folders directly in Zoom.
- Click the File button and choose the type of file you want to create.
- Box Note
- Box Note from Template
- Word Document*
- Excel Spreadsheet*
- PowerPoint Presentation*
- Google Docs*
- Google Sheets*
- Google Slides*
- Provide a name for the new file and click Save.
The new file will be opened in a separate browser window.
*Note: The ability to create files with Office 365 suite and Google Workspace requires your Box account to be integrated with one of those services. Please consult the Box Support documentation for instructions on integrating with Google Workspace or integrating with Office 365.
Creating a new folder and organizing files
- In the top right corner of the chat window, click on the More Actions button to open the right-side panel.
- Click the Box Files tab.
- Click the add file button and click New Folder.
Note: You can also create files here as well, but files created here will not automatically be opened for immediate editing.
- Provide a name for the folder and click Save.
You can also click the button to the right of the file or folder to access the following options:
- Move to: Move the file or folder to a new folder location. Select the folder you want to move the item to and click Move.
- Rename: Rename the file or folder.
- Delete: Delete the file or folder.
Join the 100K+ other members in the Zoom Community! Login with your Zoom account credentials and start collaborating.