Viewing captions in another language
Zoom translated captions enable users to have the speech in a meeting or webinar automatically translated in real-time to captions in another language. For example, if the speaker is speaking English in a meeting, captions can be made available in Spanish, Chinese, Ukrainian, and more.
Available caption languages are determined by the host in web settings before the live session, but participants can freely enable captions and select the language they want to use for translation without the need of the host.
Supported languages currently include:
- Chinese (Simplified)(Beta)
- Japanese (Beta)
- Korean (Beta)
This article covers:
- How to view translated captions
Prerequisites for viewing translated captions
- Zoom desktop client
- Windows: 5.10.6 or higher*
- macOS: 5.10.6 or higher*
- Automated captions or translated captions enabled**
*Note: Translated captioning support for languages besides English in Webinars requires client version 5.11.9 or higher.
**Note: Translated captioning requires the host be a member of a Zoom One Business Plus account, a Zoom One Enterprise Plus account, or assigned the Zoom Translated Captions add-on.
How to view translated captions
Enabling captions in a meeting or webinar
Any participant in the meeting can self-enable captions, as they are no longer dependent on the host to enable.
- Join a Zoom meeting.
- Click the Show Captions button .
Captions will appear above the controls toolbar. By default, English is set as the speaking language the captions are generated in.
Changing the speaking language for captions
If the speaker is presenting in another language, that speaker can change the language the captions are generated from.
By default, English is set as the speaking language the captions are generated from. If you are presenting in another language, for example French, you can change input language so that captions are generated accurately in French.
- Next to the Show Captions button, click the up caret button .
- Click the Speaking language: English menu and select the appropriate language the captions should be generated from.
Once selected, captions will be generated based on the language chosen.
- This only changes the language the captions should be generated from. This does not provide a translation into another language other than what the presenter is speaking.
- Choice of Speaking Language will be saved and applied to future meetings.
Translating captions into another language
If the speaker is presenting in another language and you want the captions to be generated into your language, Zoom can translate the captions into your preferred language. This is done in real-time during the meeting, and can be set by each individual participant.
Language pairs (the input speaking language and the output caption language) available to participants are determined by the host’s settings.
- Next to the Show Captions button, click the up caret button ..
- Under the Translate to section of the menu, click on the language you want the captions translated to.
Click the More option to see more available languages.
Once a different language is chosen, the captions will be generated and translated into that language for you. Other participants can choose a language for their captions independently of your chosen language.
Note: Choice of Translate to language will be saved and applied to future meetings.
Join the 100K+ other members in the Zoom Community! Login with your Zoom account credentials and start collaborating.