Retirement of the Zoom Chrome OS App
As support for ChromeOS apps are being phased out across all operating systems, Zoom will begin ending support for its Chrome OS App in August 2022, with it being fully phased-out by February 1, 2023.
As we sunset the Chrome OS App, these are some key dates to be aware of:
- August 2022 - Zoom ended support for the Chrome OS App.
- November 5, 2022 - The app will no longer be searchable in the Chrome Web Store, but can still be accessed with the direct link.
- January 15, 2023 - When Chrome OS users click Zoom links, the PWA will automatically launch instead. This change will be made by Zoom.
- February 1, 2023 - The Chrome OS App will be fully removed from the Chrome Web Store and no longer available.
In preparation for this retirement, Zoom is asking all customers to switch to the Zoom progressive web application (PWA) for the most up-to-date and feature-rich experience. The Zoom PWA is the official replacement for the Zoom for ChromeOS app and will continue to be updated in the long-term, to support Chrome OS and other users needing a lightweight Zoom client.
How do I migrate my users?
- Auto-launch PWA when joining a meeting on Chrome OS: Account admins can automatically direct all ChromeOS devices to use the PWA instead of the ChromeOS app at the account level.
- Mass-deployment on ChromeOS: Chrome admins can deploy the PWA with specific configurations for their devices.
- Individual users: Users can install this from the Google Play store or by going to pwa.zoom.us/wc and clicking on the install option in the Chrome browser address bar.
Note: Installation is not necessary to use the PWA, but will make it easier to access on Chrome, as the PWA will be listed with other installed Apps. The PWA can be accessed on other web browsers through the direct link: pwa.zoom.us/wc
We also strongly recommend that all users update to the most recent version of Chrome OS to maintain feature compatibility and continued improved performance. The Zoom PWA is automatically kept up to date when new versions are released by Zoom.
For more information about using the Zoom PWA, visit our support page.
Join the 100K+ other members in the Zoom Community! Login with your Zoom account credentials and start collaborating.